Portable wheel chairs are also called transport wheel chairs or companion wheel chairs. A portable wheel chair can be a manual style or a powered chair. Either way, portable wheel chairs are designed with flexibility and ease of transport in mind.
Transport wheel chairs fold into a compact package for easy storage or for travel. Some portable wheel chairs have a fold-down back. Others are designed so that the armrests, footrests, and wheels can be disassembled and stowed in a vehicle trunk or the back of a van for transport. The manual versions of these portable chairs often weigh less than 22 pounds so they are easy for the average person to lift and push without too much trouble.
Portable chairs are constructed in such a way to be not only lightweight, but strong and durable as well. Titanium and aluminum are two components used in the manufacturing of these chairs. However, for those who need to accommodate a heavier person in a portable wheel chair, there are heavy-duty wheel chairs manufactured with steel tubing. The heavy-duty chairs are still portable, but will be a bit heavier than a titanium or aluminum portable chair.
There are electric or power chairs that are labeled as transport or portable as well. These chairs can be dismantled and then put back together again when you arrive at your destination.
Portable wheel chairs are made for both adults and children. Traveling within a confined space such as an airport, mall, or attending a special celebration event like a wedding or birthday party is all possible using a portable chair. Manual portable wheelchairs are ideal for transporting a person from home to the doctor’s office too. Short outings are manageable with a portable wheel chair, but if you plan to be out for the day, a thicker cushion should be added to the chair to ensure optimal comfort.
Who Would Benefit From A Portable Wheel Chair?
· Someone who is physically unable to operate a power chair independently
· A person who travels most often with a companion
· People with minimal upper body strength (lighter weight chair)
· Someone who doesn’t require constant medical attention
· A person who needs a companion to transport them from place to place – a portable chair is easier on the person pushing it because it’s lighter in weight
· For those who need a wheel chair for a short period of time or temporary use
· Just about anyone who has to keep a budget in mind – manual portable or transport wheel chairs are the most economical on the market
It’s important to seek out companies who have been in business for a respectable amount of time prior to making any wheel chair purchase. Be sure the company is willing to work with you and answer all of your questions to your satisfaction. A wheel chair is an important decision to make, especially for the person who will be using it on a regular basis. A wheel chair manufacturing company who keeps up with the latest improvements and newest technology is a good one to investigate.